- What are the United World Colleges?
United World Colleges are upper-level secondary schools that aim at bringing together young people from different countries to study together. For some students, this means eleventh and twelfth grades, and for others it means the equivalent of twelfth and thirteenth grades. The colleges offer two-year residential program, for young people aged 16 - 19 years old, during which they complete the International Baccalaureate (IB).
- What is the International Baccalaureate (IB)?
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) provides an internationally accepted qualification for entry into higher education and is recognised by many universities worldwide. IBDP students complete assessments in six subjects, one from each subject group, and three core requirements.
- What is the UWC scholarship? Is it a university scholarship?No, UWC scholarship is not a University scholarship. It is a two-year scholarship offered by the UWC Movement for students to pursue the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma at United World Colleges overseas.
- Who should apply for a full scholarship?
Students must be born between January 2003 and December 2005 for the current application year. They must also hold a Sudanese nationality or hold Refugee status that is recognised by UNHCR. All applicants must have lived in Sudan for the past 3 years .
- How does the selection process look like?
Please refer to the How to Apply page.
- What do scholarships cover?
They usually cover tuition fees, accommodation, food and books. Scholarships do not normally include the cost of transport to the school, the cost of visas, or pocket money, which legal guardians are expected to cover. In special circumstances, the school or the selection committee will be able to pay for personal expenses. All students, regardless of their ability to pay, are therefore encouraged to apply.
- By when should I send all my application materials and documents?
28 January, 2022 is the last day we will be accepting applications. You cannot submit your application material after 28 January, 2022.
- Can I choose which UWC I attend?
Unfortunately, no. The scholarships are different each year, and depend on the type of scholarship and the student’s financial needs. However, we are always open to hear your suggestions.
- I am not fluent in English, does this matter?
No. Do not be discouraged from applying to UWC because of a lack of fluency in English. It is not a requirement to apply, but English will be the main language in the UWC colleges.
- I have not obtained my academic reports for this semester. Can I still apply to UWC?
Yes, you can still apply to UWC. Please submit all other required documents by the deadline (28/01) and email your academic reports to us at firstname.lastname@example.org once you receive them.
- Is it okay to send some of my supporting documents in Arabic?
Yes, you can send your transcripts and/or reference forms in Arabic.
- How can I convince my parents to let me go to UWC?
This decision is ultimately between you and your parents, you can always refer them to us for more information and we can put them in contact with Sudanese parents of alumni who have attended one of the UWC Colleges.
- What happens after I attend a UWC College?
There are many wonderful opportunities that are available for UWC Students once they graduate and finish IB. One popular option for a lot of UWC students are applying to attend university in various places around the world and especially in the U.S as Shelby Davis Scholar. Other UWC students go on to take gap years and volunteer around the world.